Xanax belongs to the benzodiazepine group and contains alprazolam. The content will work actively by binding to chemical compounds of the type GABA or gamma-aminobutyric acid in the brain, providing a calming effect that makes users feel much calmer.
Of course, this one drug should not be used at random or without a prescription from a specialist because one of the effects that can be caused is drug dependence. Xanax products themselves are divided into three choices, namely:
- Xanax. It has a caplet form with a different alprazolam content in each caplet, namely 0.25 milligrams, 0.5 milligrams, and 1 milligram.
- Xanax SL. This drug is available in caplet form with 0.5 milligrams of alprazolam and 1 milligram of alprazolam.
- Xanax XR. Available in caplet form with alprazolam content of 0.5 milligrams and 1 milligram.
Widely used as a drug to treat panic attacks and anxiety disorders, Xanax, which contains alprazolam, will provide a calming effect for people who consume it. This drug works by reducing abnormalities in electrical activity in the brain and parts of the central nervous system. The slowing down of electrical activity in the brain will also help reduce anxiety and tense nerves.
However, once again, this drug can not be consumed without the advice of a doctor. So, of course, you should ask your doctor first if you have an anxiety disorder or panic attack. The dose given varies depending on the severity of the anxiety disorder or panic attack you are experiencing, likewise with the type of medicine. Usually, the doctor will start by giving a low dose, and then it will be increased gradually according to the condition and needs of the patient.
Things to note
Xanax drugs can be taken before or after meals. However, if taken after eating, there will be a decrease in the drowsiness effect of this drug. Then, if the prescribed medication is Xanax XR, you should take it once a day every morning. Immediately swallow the medicine with the help of water and avoid crushing or chewing it.
Don’t forget to keep regular medical check-ups according to the doctor’s directions while undergoing treatment and taking this medicine. Avoid discontinuing Xanax if your doctor has not recommended you to do so. The reason is that this will have an impact on withdrawal symptoms. Then, avoid consuming grapefruit juice while taking this drug to prevent the risk of side effects.
Interactions and Side Effects of Its Use
Always discuss with your doctor if you are taking other medications, Xanax. The reason is, several types of drugs can interact with Xanax, including:
• Increased risk of breathing problems, impaired consciousness, and other harmful effects when Xanax is taken together with anticonvulsants, muscle relaxants, antihistamines, and drugs that fall into opioids.
• Increased levels of alprazolam in the blood, which impact the increased risk of side effects when taken together with ketoconazole, fluvoxamine, nefazodone, itraconazole, erythromycin, and cimetidine drugs.
• There is a decrease in blood levels of alprazolam when Xanax is taken together with phenytoin and carbamazepine.
• Increased levels of digoxin in the blood, which impacts the high risk of drug poisoning.